Lake Istrouma is named after Camp Istrouma, the first Istrouma Area Council camp. Camp Avondale has gone through a few campsite changes over the years. The most notable change happened in 2000 when all campsites were moved to one side of the main road. The Dining Hall was the first building built on camp in 1959, paid for by Gulf States Utilities and built by the Navy SeaBees. The A.C. Lewis Memorial Center "Administration Building", was built in 1960. The A.C. Lewis Memorial Center was used as Camp Avondale's Trading Post in the early years of Summer Camp. The Health Lodge donated by the Baton Rouge Area Medical Society and built around 1963. The Trading Post was built somewhere around the 1920s or 30s and was originally a hunting lodge called the Possum Trot Lodge owned by the Pipes Family. The Possum Trot Lodge was originally located on Lake Istrouma where where the Caddo House sits now. The building was moved to its' current location in 1969 prior to the construction of the Caddo House and has been used as the Camp Avondale Trading Post ever since. The Caddo House was built by the Order of the Arrow in 1969.