The Scouting program is available to United States citizens and their dependents living in other countries. The Transatlantic Council is headquartered in Germany and serves U.S. Scouts in most of Europe. The Far East Council is headquartered in Japan and serves several Far East nations. Direct Service serves all other BSA Scouts living outside the United States.
- Administered by the International Department of the Boy Scouts of America
- Provides some of the same services that a local council provides, including:
- Approving advancements
- Maintaining records
- Operating an Order of the Arrow lodge
- Organizing national and world Scout jamboree participation
- Processing registration and magazine subscriptions
- Processing supply orders
- Providing information and program resources
- Meetings and activities are basically the same as those in the United States.
- Minor modifications are sometimes necessary due to circumstances that occur when living in other countries.
- Scouting activities may include other Scout associations for events like jamborees, rallies, and community projects.
- Serves youth through chartered organizations.
- Units organize their own activities to earn money for:
- Special programs
- Service projects
- Approximately 2,300 youth members and 1,000 adult leaders are in Direct Service units or are registered as Lone Scouts in isolated areas of the world.
- Members are the children of:
- International businesspeople
- Diplomatic corps officials
- U.S. military personnel
- 100 Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, and Venturing crews in more than 40 countries on five continents
- These countries have one or more Scouting units registered through Direct Service:
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
Order of the Arrow
- The Gamenowinink Lodge No. 555 is under the supervision and administration of the International Department.
- The lodge averages 200 members.
- The name of the lodge means “On the other side of the Great Sea” in Lenni Lenape.
More information can be found at www.directservicebsa.org.